Sunday, October 24, 2004

Will he grow up to be a man?

Dad has taken to scaring the bejeezus out of me recently by telling me all the life-threatening stunts he pulled as a kid. Yesterday he was grilling us steaks and there was lighter fluid involved, so of course Dad shares with us a story from his childhood, a recollection about making a homemade rocket launcher of sorts with his buddy that involved a segment of PVC pipe, lighter fluid, and a tennis ball. This delightful anecdote ended with "We should have blown our arms off. It amazes me that boys live to become men."

I don't know about any of this stuff, because, while I am not a priss, I am a GIRL and as such possess a little more sense and a little less attraction to explosive things. But now I have to raise a boy, replete with all of his inevitable bonehead boy-moves, and I don't even know the half of what I'm getting into. How can I possibly protect my little guy from maiming or killing himself as he becomes more and more aware of what fun mischief can be?

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Claire, Ask Mike to tell you about the time he put lit fire crackers in the pouch of his sweatshirt as Dad and I walked in the garage unannounced. Oh! and there was the time he and his buddies built an "enormous" fire in front of the open doors of the garage, where cans of gasoline were stored.And then there was the time in put a key in the electrical outlet.Oh my, those were the days. No wonder moms grow to be suspicious.

12:57 PM  
Blogger Claire said...

Oh. My. Goodness. Mommy C, you are giving me nightmares! My boy is never going to be allowed near matches!

7:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home