Friday, March 04, 2005

Operation "Bloody Murder": Day Two

Last night it took Isaac about 15 minutes to fall asleep.

Dad put him down at around 7, and they did their dance before Isaac collapsed in a heap of blankets. He screamed for a bit at 8:30 and I went up, hugged him through the crib rails (his new thing -- he knows now that we won't pick him up, so he pulls us to him through the crib rails and leans his sweet little noggin against our chest so we can kiss it and pet it and that's how he gets his soothing in), put him on his tummy, patted his butt, and walked away. He instantly fell asleep. He woke up again at 10:30 (with both Dad and I asleep. In bed!), and I dealt with it in a similar fashion; this time he didn't fall asleep, so I repeated the process after 5 minutes. He persisted, and Dad suggested I not go back in. Weaving in and out of sleep, at some point I realized there was no more crying. I also vaguely remember at another point in the night hearing screaming from his room, and my foggy brain told me to stay put...give him just a few minutes...and I fell back asleep without ever going in to check on him. This is how tired we are, people. But this also meant I kept waking up on my own between the 2 and 4, wondering how he could be comfortable with all his blankets beneath him instead of cozy on top of him. He woke up for good at 5 -- I tried to get him back to sleep, but something about his demeanor made me realize it wasn't working. I picked him up and he smelled sweet and non-Isaac-y -- I thought I had accidentally smeared some frosting on him from the birthday cake Mindy brought over for me last night. An hour later (again, this is how TIRED we are) I realized that this smell was a giant poo. Who knew rainbow-chip frosting and baby poop had so much in common?

We figured there couldn't possibly be much fight in him last night because he was absolutely exhausted from Day One. Perhaps that's because he got up at 4:30? Hrmm? You think? I was quite triumphant and motivated from Day One, though, feeling like we were finally being proactive in combating his snooze-problems. Then my heart completely broke when I picked him up from day care yesterday and Nicole said, "I think he must be getting sick or something. He hasn't been acting like himself all day. He won't do anything unless he is clinging to Alicia, and he's had really spotty napping." I hadn't told her of our experiment the night before. Yet we persisted, and I think you will agree that our behavior modification program has already seen dramatic results. Viva sleep!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home