Friday, January 28, 2005

Go to sleep already

Isaac is doing better today. No fever. But everything he touches somehow acquires a green spectral trail of baby-snot. Oh well. I would turn on his humidifier, but it makes his room smell like swamp. Maybe I should clean it out? You think?

He is asleep now, after ~50 minutes of fighting it out with me. This time his resistance to the sleep was especially amusing/unbelievably frustrating, since he took a 30 minute nap in the car/in Dad's arms at Sam's Club this afternoon and that was his only nap since 10:40 this morning. By 7:00 his eyes were so dark and sunken from tiredness he looked a little like a druggie, but he his drug of choice must be meth or something since he can evidently stay up for days if he needed to.

I just don't get it. He is almost 10 months old, and 1) most nights he won't go to sleep on his own, meaning he has to be rocked, rubbed, or nursed to sleep, and 2) he hasn't stayed asleep for more than 5 hours at a time since November. In his now extraordinarily long life, he has slept "through" the night (I know definitions of this vary, but I am talking 8 straight hours here) twice.

I mean, what a jerk! Doesn't he understand that mommy needs her sleep too? Before he came along, I was really peeved if I didn't get to sleep in until 10 or 11 on the weekends. I guess this is coming to a head now because with his fabulous new cold, I have not slept more than 2 hours at a stretch the past two nights. And it would not be exaggerating to say that last night was a marked improvement over Wednesday night. But come ON. I don't nurse him to sleep most nights any more, and sometimes he will fall asleep on his own if we just put him in his crib and the stars align just so. For some time now I have just said that he is going to be one of those kids with sleep problems, like his dad. But this is reeeediculous.

So, some audience participation now -- if you have experience with getting YOUR babies to go to sleep (even if it was oh so very long ago that they were babies), how did YOU do it? Singing? Talking? Rocking? Stuffed animals? Come on, I'm dyin' here.

1 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

I feel for you with the sleeping through the night thing. Ben has only very recently graced us with the blessed 10 hours+ in the row on a regular basis. We're not sure what happened to change things. We stopped going in for every little whimper, but I'm not sure that's what did it.

As for the going to bed, this is what we do every night and Benjamin goes to sleep on his own in his crib. Bath at 7p.m. (he knows when it's time too and starts heading for the stairs, it's WEIRD). After his bath, Tom gives him his bottle, though he is starting to refuse that, so we won't be doing that much longer. Anyway, the bath/getting his jammies on puts him into some kind of weird baby trance or something because no matter how energetic he was before that, he's rubbing his eyes and ready for bed before it's over. So after all that, we put him in the crib awake with his froggie blankie and usually after about 30 minutes, he's asleep. He does the same thing for naps now. When he's tired, just wants to be put in the crib with froggie. He gets really ticked if we don't oblige. :\ Good luck with Isaac... I hope things start to improve after the cold!

5:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home