Saturday, November 19, 2005

Operation: Bottle Bye-Bye

Why is it I run into all the talkies at Costco? You know, the ladies who obviously need to get out more, because they insist on telling their troubles to complete strangers. Like the lady with the scary mullet and teeth straight out of The Big Book of British Smiles who, seeing Isaac, decided to tell me all about her three-year-old charge's toilet training experience, sharing with me as a fellow insider her complete and utter disbelief in the necessity of Pull-Ups. And then there was the cashier who, upon seeing Isaac gleefully sucking away at his Nuby sippy cup, shared with me her complete disdain for how her granddaughter is still drinking from a bottle, the horror! Trying to make conversation with this latter lady, I ask how old her granddaughter is. "Eighteen months," she says. "No kid should still be drinking from a bottle at eighteen months."

Well, thank you for your sweeping pronouncement, complete stranger, and thank you for making me feel like a terrible parent. Because yes, my 19-month-old still drinks his "milky" from a bottle. For a time, he was excellent at drinking milk with meals from a big-boy (not even sippy) cup. But that time is gone, and now he will only take it from a bottle without a fuss. So sue me.

But we all know that eventually the bottle must exit stage left, so I figure now is probably a pretty good time to do it. This is mainly because 1) we have now accumulated an impressive collection of Nuby cups and 2) in planning our trip home for the holidays in a little over a month, the bottle collection would be a convenient thing to leave behind. Today was day one. Isaac asked for his milky in the morning and in the evening, and each time he barely noticed that it was served in a Nuby and not a bottle. Not that a Nuby is a large stretch from a bottle, but hey, it's a start.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If it helps any Clayton hasn't touched milk (besides in cereal) since his bottle went away. My doc told me that he can get all the vitamins and fat in milk from other foods easily. So he eats lots of ice cream, and calcium fortified orange juice. I was freaked out at first but once I relaxed and threw the old lady in the grocery store advice that Clayton will surely die if he doesn't get 4 glasses of milk a day!!! Good luck and I think it is very wise to ditch the bottle before the new baby arrives. Less stress for all!!!

1:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home