Monday, September 26, 2005

Who says you can't learn anything from TV?

Isaac and I do lots of things other than watch TV. We build block towers, read LOTS of books, color, play with play-doh, play in the sandbox, go for walks, go squirrel-spotting, etc etc. Our latest non-rainy-day activity is to go on marathon campus walks, like over an hour long. Here is Zombie Isaac staring at a fountain at the end of running all over the manicured campus wonderland:



However, we do watch our fair share of TV. Our goal every day is to limit his TV-watching to 2 hours or less a day, and most days we accomplish this. Days when he gets up reeeeeeal early? More won't kill him. Like his mama, he is bad at waking up, so we start the day slow with a lazy episode of The Wiggles, snuggling together on the couch. If mama is still relatively unconscious, we might watch two episodes. Somedays we'll watch Sesame Street in the middle of the day, but this doesn't hold his attention like the Wiggles, so I don't know if you can really count the full hour. Usually we watch zero TV the entire time Daddy is gone. Before bathtime we watch one more Wiggles. The boy (and his inner rock star) is psycho-crazy for the Wiggles, lemme tell ya. I feel guilty about the amount of TV we let him watch, but I comfort myself thinking that it's all pretty educational and stimulating for him one way or another. And most times (though I admit not always), one of us is there to watch it with him and interact with the show while it's going on.

We now have proof that he is not brain-dead because of it, and may even be picking up a few things. A few days ago I was hooked to Headline News to hear the latest about the Hurricane Rita situation. While sitting on the couch, Isaac found the Tivo remote and said "Wiggles?" as in "this news crap would bore anybody to tears; please let me watch my super-fun baby show." I said, "No, baby, we watched the Wiggles already this morning," and left the room for a couple of minutes to brush my teeth. Naturally Isaac messes with the Tivo remote, as he's seen us do so many times before. From the bathroom, I hear "click -- click -- click -- click" from Tivo. And then I hear the Wiggles theme song. My determined young man has navigated from live TV to a Tivoed episode of the Wiggles and then played it. Scary #1.

Here's Scary #2. Isaac has long been fascinated with Dada's tripod, which is sturdy and squat and not terribly baby-unfriendly. Tonight I was showing him how to turn the stage with the handle. Isaac turns handle towards him and brings his eye up to the handle's end, exactly as if he was looking into the eyepiece of a telescope:


Now, we actually do have a telescope, but have never used it or even brought it out of the closet since Isaac was born. Neither I nor Dada have ever made any objects into pretend telescopes. As far as I can tell, the only place he could have gotten this idea is from a bit on the Wiggles where Greg looks through a telescope up into the heavens, something he has maybe seen 3 times. Campus ju-ju + measured amounts of TV = one ultra-genius toddler?

7 Comments:

Blogger Videos by Professor Howdy said...


Dear Claire & Isaac,

You have a riveting web log
and undoubtedly must have
atypical & quiescent potential
for your intended readership.
May I suggest that you do
everything in your power to
honor your Designer/Architect
as well as your audience.

Please remember to never
restrict anyone's opportunities
for ascertaining uninterrupted
existence for their quintessence.

Best wishes for continued ascendancy,
Dr. Howdy

'Thought & Humor'

P.S. Your blog's new "Word Verification"
process is a good idea but a dyslexic
person's nightmare...

6:55 PM  
Blogger Jack's Mom said...

Um Claire, you might just have a genius on your hands! I mean being able to get to a Wiggles show on Tivo - Geesh hehe. Um just don't let him show my little guy how to do it mkay? hehe.

Also love that picture of him staring into space. He's soo cute!

8:38 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am taking beauxbaby to see the wiggles next month! Yeah! I am excited, but worry that he will be scared or something. Hopefully he will LOVE it. ALthough, I think Sesame Street would teach him more, the Wiggles def. holds his attention.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Susie said...

Of course it is genius! Glad to hear you do some limited tv. We just started some sesame street during our dinner (my husband gets home later than Liam's dinner time). So Liam sit with his toys and watches. He's only interested in the muppets though. Not so much the cartoons.

6:41 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, Claire,

I've really enjoyed reading about Isaac... my daughter, Evelyn, is 1 year, 5 months, 1 week, and 6 days old, so they're really close in age! Also, my husband and I are almost 17 weeks pregnant with our second. Strange, hunh? But I'm jealous of your bump... I'm hardly showing at all. I look like I ate too much for lunch :(.

Anyway, I'm a freelance writer and wanted to contact you to see if you'd be interested in talking with me a bit about blogging and why you do it. I'm writing an article about moms who blog for Delaware Parent magazine (a supplement to the News Journal). Would you be willing to have a quick e-mail correspondence about your experiences blogging? I'd love to hear your perspective on finding time to do it, what the rewards are, who reads it, etc.

If you'd be interested, please contact me back at thewriteatlas@gmail.com. I'm sorry to contact you through the comments section, but I couldn't find another way to get in touch. If I don't hear back from you, I'll just assume you're not comfortable talking with me, which is perfectly fine!

Thanks,
Janel Atlas

12:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Holy Smokes... I'd say you definitely have a genius on your hands! We'll have to give the Wiggles a try in this house. I've only ever let Mo watch Sesame Street.

6:52 PM  
Blogger Claire said...

Being the rock-n-roller that he is, Isaac is definitely a Wiggles Man. If Mo is into music at all, she will adore the Wiggles.

7:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home