Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Boo. I don't have an ear infection.

Please don't ask why I was so thrilled at the prospect of both my son and I being diagnosed with ear infections, but I was. Isaac has one, he takes medicine, he feels lots better. I want one so I can take medicine and feel lots better.

Instead, I go to my family practitioner today and she tells me that, while my eardrums are noticeably dysfunctional in the draining respect right now, they are not infected, and that their dysfunction is even to be expected given 1) the time of year, 2) the duration of my head cold, and even 3) an altered sinus morphology and behavior due to my pregnancy. Then she went on and on about blah blah she doesn't want to pump my unborn child full of chemicals and blah blah have you tried Sudafed? Um, yes, and it does NOTHING. Well, then, blah blah try Chlor-Trimeton. Thanks, ho-bag. At least she didn't tell me, like everyone else, to repeatedly souse my nostrils with saline spray. Because that really works.

I don't hate her terribly because of the short conversation we had as she walked me out. I have been pretty self-conscious about my weight gain during this pregnancy. Though I have gained 35 lbs total, no one has yet said to me "You look like you're ready to pop!" and more often than not I hear "Two weeks? I would have thought you have more like two months to go". This all makes me feel like people think I am some kind of negligent mom. Do I carry my baby in such a way as to make me look malnurished or something? But my doc today made me feel a little better.

Dr: So when are you due?
Me: Two weeks. Feb 21.
Dr: Wow, you look great! I would have thought you had lots more time to go.
Me: (a little dejected) Yeah, I get that a lot. I kind of feel bad because everyone thinks I'm too skinny. I probably should have put on more weight. I just hope the baby will be okay.
Dr: What? No, don't think that. I'm sure you're measuring fine, right?
Me: Well, yes, but...
Dr: Then that's all you need to worry about. I'm proud of you for keeping your weight in check. Not everybody takes care of themselves like that when they're pregnant.
Me: I guess I have to give credit to my toddler. He keeps me so busy...
Dr: Are you joking? I can't know how many times I've seen women in here who gained an extra 30 lbs with their first pregnancy, and then took their second pregnancy as an excuse to gain an extra 70 lbs, and are now griping at me about how they need to lose 100 lbs.
Me: Well, I guess I didn't do that.
Dr: Like I said, I'm proud of you.

1 Comments:

Blogger Periwinkle Jen said...

I totally understand. I went to the doctor with ear pain and he didn't want to give me antibiotics either. Can you believe he said "If you don't care about what happens to your baby" to me?! It was a class b antibiotic...it's been used for years, but they can't do side by side testing for ethical reasons. I told him to give me the antibiotics because I wasn't going to be a good mom if I couldn't sleep.

11:30 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home