Thursday, February 16, 2006

U.B. goes to the doctor -- 39 weeks

I never have committed to a regular obstetrician/practitioner at the hospital practice I'm going to for U.B.'s prenatal care, opting instead for scheduling convenience to accomodate various babysitters for my firstborn. Sometimes this has its advantages, as I've gotten to see a range of practitioners, some of which have been really stellar, and gotten a wealth of information.

Today, not so much. Last week I the O.B. I saw was anxious to do an internal exam to find out if I had dilated any more; I declined because Isaac was there with me and I didn't want to be in a situation where I couldn't leap from the table and stop him from eating the biohazard waste if needs be. She suggested we should definitely take a look this week. But this week when I show up, I have a different doc. When I bring up the internal exam, for which I went out of my way to get our buddies Sarah and Ella to watch Isaac while I went for the appointment (thanks guys!), this doc says "Nah. Let's just do it next week if you're still pregnant, because then we'd have to schedule an induction anyway." So I have no idea what the cervix-monster is up to. I've had lots of painful cramps this week -- no contractions, but bad, bad cramps -- and I was so very curious to see if they were accomplishing anything. Pbblllft.

Interestingly, however, this O.B. palpated around my belly to get a feel of how big the baby is. She estimates that he is between 7-1/2 and 8 pounds NOW. This means, if she erred on the small side, that we are talking a near-9-pounder next week. Can you say yee-owch?

Oh, and my blood pressure was even lower this time, and U.B.'s heart rate was in the 140s. All is very good and very boring, which is lovely because now I have so much crap to do with our new home-buying project that I suddenly don't mind if U.B. wants to go overdue.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jack's Mom said...

I can't believe that you are going to be actually delivering UB in the next few days! I am so excited for you guys.

8:11 PM  
Blogger Claire said...

Grandma -- bp was 120s/60s. Not LOW, just getting towards what's normal for non-pregnant Claire. Yes, I told the Dr. about my cramping getting worse; she didn't care because it wasn't "regular" and, more importantly, it went away.

4:55 AM  
Blogger Mrs. Flinger said...

Glad it's all normal noraml and uneventful!

9:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home