Wednesday, February 08, 2006

They don't charge extra for screaming!

Today in my frenzy of trying to bring everything in the house to order (can you say "nesting"?) I noticed that Isaac's hair in the back was getting impossibly thick and hippie-like, and that he had hideous little stray hairs dangling over his ears from where I butchered his hair cutting it myself over Christmas break. In the interest of saving some money, I tried my hand once again at Isaac-pruning, luring him with an episode of Sesame Street. When a half-hour passed, along with thirteen million TiVo pauses ("If you don't sit still, we're not watching it!"), I thought it might be worth the money to take Isaac for his first professional cut.

We went to one of those kiddie-friendly places with cool chairs, toys, a DVD player, and suckers. I thought he would totally be into anywhere where he could sit on a carousel-esque elephant and watch Thomas at the same time. Oh, how wrong I was. He screamed the whole time. He didn't want to sit on the fancy chairs. He didn't want to sit in the barber's chairs. He didn't even want to watch Thomas. He just didn't want to sit still, period, especially while that strange but well-meaning lady was approaching with the scissors. Eventually I held him in my lap on a barber's chair, restraining him in one way or another (which, with all the doctor's visits, seems to be the theme lately) while this extremely talented and patient lady snipped away at his beautiful golden overgrowth. Towards the end he had worked himself up into such a frenzy that his face was covered with snot and he was drooling, and it almost made me burst into tears. Until we were done, that is, and I let him down, and he skipped away towards the toys at the front of the store like nothing had ever happened. His hairstylist asked him if he wanted a sucker, and he even said "Thank you." Here he is with his trimmed-up new do, watching Thomas peacefully from their waiting area, enjoying his very first Dum Dum (grape, it was)


While the whole experience was completely unpleasant, entirely due to my kid's unreasonable reaction to anyone taking scissors to his hair, I must say I'm glad we kicked that hippie-lookin' kid out of my house. Oh, and next time? It's Dada's turn.

7 Comments:

Blogger Susie said...

Oh such a boys haircut! Looks GREAT! Sorry for the baby drama! I'm not looking forward to it myself and I am constantly pressing down on those straggly weird wispys myself. I supposed they think it's the same as a doctor's visit? Stranger poking at some body part = screamtime!

7:40 PM  
Blogger Jack's Mom said...

He looks so cute! He is such a little man sitting there. Love the hairdo. I don't know if it gets better because every single time (all 3 times) Daddy takes Jack to his barber (who also have the cool horsie head chairs), he throws a screaming fit. But they are so cute afterwards.

8:32 PM  
Blogger Claire said...

Dawn, I am SO GLAD it's not just my kid!!! Man, was he upset...but it is worth it that his hair isn't hanging over his collar anymore.

5:00 AM  
Blogger Erin said...

Oh yeah. Ben did the same thing at the cool kiddie hair place. WTF? And then off he went with his sucker. Little turd monkey.

I also got hte pleasure of pinning him down at the pediatrician's office yesterday so she could try to look down his throat. He wouldn't open his mouth... he just bit down on the tongue depresser and thrashed around. Again. Little turd monkey.

5:22 AM  
Blogger Susie said...

Claire - when is your due date again? Cause I'm checking your blog like a stalker wondering if you're off giving birth or something!

5:17 PM  
Blogger Claire said...

Susie -- I've been told Feb 21 by one doctor, Feb 22 by another doctor, so I choose to live roughly by the earlier date. U.B.'s countdown at the top of the page is calculated according to Feb 21. Though, as you probably know, this date really means I could go anytime now...

And I'm trying to post something every day now just in case people would start assuming things if I were silent.

6:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Our experience was HORRIBLE. HORRRRRIIIIBBBLLLLEEEEEEE. So glad it is over. we went to the same place, and it was awful. Went to the local place with no cars or tv and the brilliant 18 year old gave him the sucker first and he sucked on the darn thing while she trimmed away.

7:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home