Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Color-coded for the month of love

Our big buddy Ella (with her mom Sarah's help) looked after Isaac this morning for two hours. Apparently he barely noticed I was gone, being too busy reading to Ella:


...or trying to play "ride the horsey" with his little friend:



I have been informed by Sarah that no Ellas were harmed in the taking of these pictures. I also promise the matching red shirts were not planned in the least. In fact, Isaac wore his shirt yesterday. You'll notice it's emblazoned with Thomas and buds. I happened to get off my enlarged butt and do laundry last night such that the shirt wound up in the clean laundry basket Isaac was "helping" me fold this morning, and you can guess what happened from there.

Interesting news, though -- I needed a babysitter because Dada and I met with a children's book publisher this morning. Long story short: we each have cute little assignments to write super-short, non-fiction books geared towards grade-schoolers. In addition to exploiting a fantastic opportunity to stretch my Play-Doh-atrophied brain in new and refreshing ways, upon finishing these assignments we get a modest check.

The publisher was really nice and excited about us, but Dada kind of went over the top. You see, he has this well-meaning little problem that surfaces on occasions such as these. He likes to brag on his wife's writing skills. During the meeting he went on and on at several points about how I'm the best writer he's ever met, never mind that I've never written children's books before, ever. Of course he doesn't notice me sinking deeper into the chair; of course the publisher nods politely along.

Oh, the shame! The jinxing! Does he not watch American Idol? Does he not see all those poor hapless souls whose moms are waiting outside the audition room door cooing about how their offspring, who sounds like a lost barnyard animal, has the best voice in the history of the universe?

**thanks to Sarah for the pictures!

6 Comments:

Blogger Mrs. Flinger said...

LOL! Wow, looks like Isaac is ready with the big bro mode. And children's books? HOW COOL ARE Y'ALL!?! A dream of mine, really.

Congrats, yo!

10:40 PM  
Blogger Jack's Mom said...

Oh my gosh I am impressed with the writing of children's books. Back in my old life in Seattle, a friend and I were pretty serious about opening a children's bookstore. That is until a huge Barnes and Noble came and plopped down in the neighborhood. But I love love love children's books. You have to send out copies when you get them done.

Oh and the kiddo is as adorable as ever. Thomas shirt is huge in our house also.

5:35 AM  
Blogger mommyofkgrc said...

wow. . .children's book writing so AWESOME. . .looking forward to reading your works. . .

8:42 AM  
Blogger Susie said...

that's AWESOME Claire! Wicked awesome! A lil' Boston in there for ya.

and Isaac looks very big brotherly already!

1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW! That is so amazing! I am excited for you and your family!

5:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Awesome opportunity! Congrats!

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home