Wednesday, September 28, 2005

Gulp, gulp... U.B. says "drink some water"

When I was preggers with the Isaac, there was a point, around month 4-ish or 5-ish, where I started drinking more water than I thought it possible for a human to do and not be drowning. I had my 1 L Nalgene bottle next to my computer, and I would slog away at my keyboard and chug away at my bottle, stopping at least once an hour to either refill the ENTIRE BOTTLE or visit the ladies' room for the natural consequences. This was good for Isaac and his amniotic fluid needs and good for my poor back that I had to get up a stretch a lot. Cause dude was heavy. This was not good for the massive fluid gain that caused me to acquire a: 1) $10 "replacement" wedding ring when mine was cutting off my circulation, and 2) doctor's order to not wear socks from my 5th month on to avoid my "cankles" looking like the pinched ends of sausages.

As was to be expected, U.B. has told me in his/her indirect way that I really need to be drinking more fluids. I'm sure the cold isn't helping either, but the mouth, she is dry all the time. With U.B., unfortunately, hydrating is not so easy. If I want something to drink, I have to open the fridge to get at the Brita. No way am I drinking that sludge from our tap. It is ORANGE. No joke. Opening the fridge is a clear invitation to Isaac to rearrange the items on the shelves inside the door. "Cah-kee!" he says, pulling out cans of Dada's Coke. An insistent "uh-uh-uh" means "here, I found this bottle of Tabasco sauce, and I discovered the hard way that its lid doesn't belong in my mouth. Please put it up for me?" And then there is the yogurt stacking. And the canister of parmesan cheese and bottle of Real Lemon, both of which he knows need to be turned upside down to shake their contents out. Aside from the mess, which is no fun, can you imagine what this is doing to our electric bill? Oh, we got that the other day, and let's just say it was around TWO HUNDRED DOLLARS. The same bill in Seattle, for two month's worth of zapper-juice, would have been around $40.

Basically, here is how my fluid intake goes. Drink as much as possible before Dada leaves. Drink all of Isaac's leftovers during the day, noticing the delightful chewiness of the Nuby lid. Drink two glasses of water before our nap. Drink as much as possible when Dada gets home. Drink two or three glasses of water before bed. Get up to pee all night long.

I'm trying hard to do right by U.B., but stupid Discovery Health today didn't help with its "Birth Day" about pregnant ladies with a pathological amount of amniotic fluid. Whatever happened to my beloved "Maternity Ward" of yesteryear, with its coverage of normal ladies with normal pregnancies and healthy babies, swimming about in their perfectly normal amount of amniotic fluid?

2 Comments:

Blogger Periwinkle Jen said...

Was that supposed to be a pun on the Wiggles' "Gulp, Gulp, Drink some water"? Because if it was I feel silly. It took me forever to get it!

3:06 PM  
Blogger Claire said...

Yeah, it was! But you did get it, so I'm pleased! I have those stinkin' songs stuck in my head so much, I keep thinking I should have a week of blogging where all my post titles are derived from Wiggles songs.

6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home